Friday, May 22, 2009

Student Government (original screenply)

FADE in: ESTABLISHING SHOT - NEW YORK CITY STREET - DAY

"Based on actual historical events" appears on screen over a contemporary residential city street. ANDRES struts into view. He seems cocky, and is dressed in stylish clothing. He turns and walks into the doorway of a town house. RAP MUSIC is playing.

INT./EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING STAIRCASE - DAY

Andres walks through the door and closes it. His pace slows considerably as he walks upstairs.

INT. OLDER JESUS'S APARTMENT - DAY

OLDER JESUS (pronounced Hay-Suse) hears the DOORBELL. He is in his late seventies. He gets up slowly, but with dignity. His dress and the apartment's decor are proper, tasteful, and simple. He opens the door.

OLDER JESUS
Hello, Andres.

Older Jesus seems happy and surprised to see Andres, but he acts reserved. He turns and walks back into the living room. Andres closes the door, and follows Older Jesus into the living room. Andres is acting agitated, and does not sit. He speaks in an urban drawl.

ANDRES
Hey, Pop.

OLDER JESUS
Shouldn't you be in class?

ANDRES
No class today.

OLDER JESUS
I'm not stupid, Andres.
(pauses briefly)
You used to be such a good boy.

ANDRES
Don't start busting me. I'm
just here to visit.

OLDER JESUS
Why?

ANDRES
(handing him some folded
money)
I brought you a present.

OLDER JESUS
I do not need anything, especially
your ill-gotten money.

ANDRES
Uh?

OLDER JESUS
I did the best I could after your
parents died.

ANDRES
Take it.

OLDER JESUS
Did you really think it would
be that easy?
(pauses briefly)
Maybe I was guilty of the same
thing.

ANDRES
Uh?

OLDER JESUS
Hopefully you will learn that
there are many things you cannot
buy with money. Fortunately,
I am still one of them.

Andres leaves the money, turns and closes the door behind him as he leaves. Older Jesus walks over to a record player, and turns on a SALSA that has a beat and revolutionary theme similar to the rap song. He walks into the kitchen and starts to make some tea. He gets weak. All of the SOUND DIES. He collapses to the ground. The only SOUND is the EXAGGERATED THUD of Older Jesus crashing to the ground. The SOUND DIES again and Older Jesus's hand knocks over the water. The water splashes his face. All the SOUND is DEAD except for the EXAGGERATED noise of SPLASHING. This is followed by the BARELY AUDIBLE SALSA, which continues after fade to black.

EXT. NEW YORK CITY STREET - DAY

The MUSIC has changed to a much LOUDER version of the opening RAP SONG. Andres lights a cigarette and resumes his cocky strut along the city streets. He passes a group of three bums. Andres stops and talks to the stylish blond drug DEALER. Andres arrives at a school, and the MUSIC ABRUPTLY ENDS. He goes into the door.
INT./EXT. SCHOOL HALL - DAY

Andres walks slowly into the hall and closes the door.

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

OLDER PEDRO is lecturing the class. He is dressed in priest's garb, and is in his mid seventies.

OLDER PEDRO
...Several students have joined
me on this trip before, and you
can ask them how fulfilling it
was. Many of you are Hispanic
like myself, and this is a good
way to learn about our culture,
and to serve our people.

Andres enters, and takes the only available seat, which is in the first row. He is slouching and unresponsive.
OLDER PEDRO
(to Andres)
Oh, what a rare treat. Where
were you this time?

ANDRES
Visiting my grandfather.

OLDER PEDRO
Even if that is true it's still
irrelevant. I want to speak with
you after class.
(addressing the class
again)
For those of you who are not Hispanic,
this trip will be a good opportunity
to learn about a different culture.
We all need to live together,
and the more we know about each
other, the easier it will be for
everyone...

The BELL RINGS. Andres hurriedly leaves before anyone else. Older Pedro does not have a chance to catch him.

INT. OLDER PEDRO'S OFFICE - DAY

Older Pedro is speaking into an intercom microphone.

OLDER PEDRO
Please excuse the interruption.
If...

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

Andres is sitting in the back of another class. He instinctively walks towards the door the instant the announcement starts.

OLDER PEDRO
(continuing)
...Andres Fuente is on the premises,
please have him report to the
principal's office immediately.

Andres closes the door as he leaves.

INT. OLDER PEDRO'S OFFICE - DAY

Older Pedro is sitting impatiently at his desk. He looks at his watch several times. After the final glance, he bursts out of the office, and notices a nervous BOY waiting for him. Older Pedro impatiently addresses the Boy.

OLDER PEDRO
What do you want?

BOY
Nothing, sir. My teacher gave
me this slip for chewing gum,
but I...

Older Pedro interrupts the Boy by grabbing the slip, looking at it for about a second, and then crumbling it as he leaves.

OLDER PEDRO
Forget it.

OFF SCREEN

Older Pedro opens the door and then slams it shut.

BOY
(calling out to the closed
door)
Thank you, Father Pedro. I mean
Father Torre!

INT. SCHOOL BATHROOM - DAY

Cut quickly to Andres exhaling smoke. Older Pedro rushes in, grabs the pipe from Andres and throws it into the toilet. The embers in the pipe fizzle out in the toilet water.

At this moment of extreme tension, the Boy walks into the bathroom, and runs out frightened.

OLDER PEDRO
You don't know how stupid your
excuse was this morning.

ANDRES
(Seemingly stoned)
Uh?

OLDER PEDRO
Your only visit was to a dead
man.

ANDRES
Uh?

OLDER PEDRO
Maybe you were too stoned to notice,
but your grandfather was dead
this morning.

After hearing this, Andres slowly slides downs the wall onto the floor. This is the most visually emotional he has been.

OLDER PEDRO
(continuing)
I was going to make a crack about
you murdering him, but you seemed
shocked.
(sliding near Andres,
his tone softens)
One of the few redeeming qualities
you had left was your love for your grandfather.

Older Pedro pauses. Andres is stunned.

OLDER PEDRO
(continuing)
I called to confirm your story.
I knew there was a problem when
he didn't answer. He always stays
in on Tuesday morning to listen
to the Cuban music program on
the radio.

They both snicker reservedly.

OLDER PEDRO
(continuing)
I went over to check on him.
(pauses thoughtfully and
looks away)
I don't know why I got angry with
you. I don't know what I thought
happened--what you did. Did something
happen?

ANDRES
(Shakes his head no,
and then answers)
I mean he was upset, but he has
been for a while. He didn't have
any reason to live.

OLDER PEDRO
I don't believe you said that.
You know better. He did a decent
job of raising you. He had to
go through that twice. It was
him who was responsible for making
you tough, and then you went and
used it for all of the wrong reasons.

ANDRES
I was better at being tough than
he was.

OLDER PEDRO
You have no idea.

ANDRES
What do you know? You never had
to live with him. What would
anyone tell their priest anyway?
I went and did things--made a
life for myself. He just sat
in his room. He never lived.

OLDER PEDRO
You have absolutely no idea.
You should know we are...were
cousins. I have literally known
Jesus my entire life, but for
some reason it all seem to start--
almost everything in my life seem
to start around the time he went
to college...

CUT TO

EXT. JESUS'S LAWN - DAY

Fade from Older Pedro's face to PEDRO's face. He is at a lawn party with costumes and surroundings that indicate that it is in the early 1930's, and the guests are aristocrats in a tropical nation. JESUS walks on screen. He starts to approach Pedro. They both are elegantly attired and intoxicated.

PULL BACK TO REVEAL

A huge gathering of slightly drunk and formally dressed people, some are wearing elaborate military dress uniforms. There are many servants present. "Havana, Cuba 1933" appears on screen.

PEDRO
(sarcasm to Jesus)
Enjoying yourself, Jesus?

Jesus stares at him with a bitter look.

PEDRO
(continuing)
Pretty soon you will be away from
all this.

JESUS
So. At the University, I will
be dealing with the offspring
of all these disgusting people.

PEDRO
You never had trouble having a
good time.

JESUS
The reason I act this way is because
I do have trouble having a good time.

PEDRO
I'm going to miss you. We are
two of a kind. The only two of
that kind it seems.

JESUS
Yea, I suppose so.
(pauses)
Take care of yourself, Pedro.

PEDRO
(snickering)
I will.

JESUS
You know what I mean. You got
to slow down. Nobody should act
like that at your age. I didn't,
and look how I turned out. Believe
me. You don't want to be any
worse off.

PEDRO
I'll be alright.
(pauses)
Did you hear? President Machado
is at this party.

JESUS
So. I've met him before. He
is usually at the worst parties
not the best.

PEDRO
I know what you mean.

JESUS
I'm going to walk around a little.

He gets up and walks towards the water. He sees and stares at MARIANA who is sneaking through the woods behind the house. She is extremely dark and beautiful, about Jesus's age, not as formally dressed as the other guests, and her hair is a too long for the event. Jesus accidently walks into the water.

CUT TO

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

There is a college party in progress. Everyone is formally dressed, and there is a great deal of alcohol. Jesus is drunk and slouching in a couch. There are servants present. Jesus stands up and walks away.

EXT. CAMPUS - NIGHT

Jesus stumbles outside, and stares into a wading pond. He sees the reflection of Mariana behind him. He dashes after her, but it is too late.

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Jesus stumbles back into the party, and grabs another drink. The other guests appear to be the sons of the guests at the lawn party in the previous scene. He addresses one person specifically, in the general direction of several others and finally to the crowd, all without any response amounting to more than a polite shrug.

JESUS
Does anyone know who that girl
was? Who is she? You've seen
her before?
(stumbling over to a
phone and dialing)
Operator, get the Castillo-Torre's.

INT. PEDRO'S HOUSE - NIGHT

PEDRO'S FATHER gets out of bed to answer the PHONE. He is stern in his responses. Pedro is able to hear the conversation, but cannot be seen by his father. Pedro is fully dressed, and has a bottle in his hand.

PEDRO'S FATHER
Hello.
(waits for response)
Yes, I think Pedro is here, but
I am sure he's sleeping.
(pauses)
Is that you, Jesus?
(pauses)
Is there something wrong? You
don't sound good. Are you calling
from the University?

Pedro's Father looks at the receiver as if he's been disconnected. Pedro turns and rushes out the door, and closes it.

EXT. PEDRO'S LAWN - NIGHT

Once outside Pedro jumps on his bike, which is on the ground near the house.

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT

Pedro passes pools of water. It is extremely dark.

EXT. CAMPUS - NIGHT

He stops at the University campus, and addresses several REVELERS.

PEDRO
Do any of you know Jesus
Castillo-Garcia?

Most look at him strangely and continue walking. Two people slow down, and address him.

REVELER
(smugly)
Yea, I know the name.

PEDRO
Do you have any idea where he
would be right now?

REVELER
(quick and sarcastic)
From what I've heard, he should
be at the watering hole. I mean
it is after nine A.M.

PEDRO
(calling after them)
What is that? Is that a bar or
a house?

Pedro doesn't receive a response. He forgets his bike, lights a cigarette and runs huffing. He walks up to a place that seems to be holding a party. He walks in and closes the door.

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Pedro walks into the house where Jesus was attending the college party. It is later and calmer.

PEDRO
Hello, do you know if Jesus
Castillo-Garcia is here?

HOST
Uh...I'm not sure. Is he supposed
to be here?

PEDRO
Uh...
(pauses and tries to
sound convincing)
yes. My name is Pedro
Castillo-Torre
(shakes hands)

HOST
Nice to meet you. Feel free to
look around. May I offer you
something?

PEDRO
Thank you. Actually, I would
like to use your lavatory.

HOST
Yes, of course.

The Host gestures up towards the bathroom, and Pedro dashes in that direction.

INT. BATHROOM - NIGHT

Pedro closes the bathroom door. He turns and looks down. Jesus is passed out in the toilet and is wearing an untucked formal shirt without the collar. His suspenders are hanging down. Pedro sighs, bends down with difficulty, looks in, and then FLUSHES the toilet. He starts to finish the drink, and then throws it into the toilet as he passes somewhat backwards.

PEDRO'S POV

of the ceiling slowly rotating. There is a LOUD sigh from Jesus followed by a long pause.

SLOW PAN OVERHEAD SHOTS

between Jesus and Pedro as they converse. They don't look directly at each other. The conversation is delayed by a pause after every single phrase.

PEDRO
Jesus.

JESUS
Is that you, Pedro?

PEDRO
Yea.

JESUS
What am I doing here?

PEDRO
You are suppose to be studying
at the University, but until three
minutes ago you were stewing in
your own digestive juices.

JESUS
Is that you, Pedro?

PEDRO
Yea.

JESUS
What the hell are you doing here?

PEDRO
I overheard you talking to my
father. I came to rescue you.

JESUS
I was talking to your father?

PEDRO
Yea.

JESUS
What did I do that? I...why did
I do that?
(long pause)
Rescue me from what?

PEDRO
I don't know. I'm in pretty bad
shape myself. It seemed like
the noble thing to do at the time.
I guess I was just looking for
an adventure.

JESUS
You don't know what?

PEDRO
Uh?

JESUS
You don't know why I called your
father or you don't know why I
needed to be rescued?

PEDRO
Both. Let's get out of here.

Jesus closes the door behind them.
INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

The stuffy guests are staring at Jesus and Pedro with disbelief. Pedro has also unbuttoned his shirt, and he has a towel around his neck. Jesus and Pedro try to remain cool while leaving. The door is shown closing, but not opening. The uptight students are stunned.

Jesus comes back, takes a bottle and leaves again. The door closes.

ANGLE ON THE UPTIGHT STUDENTS

Jesus reenters, and walks with forced dignity into the bathroom. He closes the door. Pedro mechanically follows the same routine after a short pause. The stuffy students watch with unbelief.

INT. BATHROOM - NIGHT

Pedro stares at the toilet, FLUSHES it, and goes over to the tub where he finds Jesus. Pedro stumbles over and turns on the shower.

TIGHT ANGLE ON JESUS'S FACE

The visibility is cut by mist.

EXT. POND - DAWN

Direct cut to the mist resulting from the two of them jumping into a pond, coming out naked and drying off and lounging against a tree. Jesus takes a drink from a flask. They both light cigarettes and relax for a moment.

JESUS
I think my reputation at that
school is ruined already.

PEDRO
I wouldn't worry about it.
(unprompted)
God, I just figured out what you
meant in the bathroom. You were
trying to reach me when you called,
not my father.

JESUS
I was drunker than you for a change.
I shouldn't do that anymore.

PEDRO
You just said that fifteen minutes
ago.
(no response)
That bike ride really took it
out of me.
(suddenly)
Oh damn! I forgot my bike.

JESUS
It will be there in the morning.
Anyway, we can afford plenty of
bikes.

PEDRO
That's not the point. I mean,
what else do I forget if I forget
what I was riding?

They both lean up.

PEDRO
(continuing)
It's time for both of us to polish
our acts.

JESUS
Yea, I don't want to get started
on the same road all through university
too.
(pauses)
Speaking of which, shouldn't you
be at school in a few hours?

PEDRO
(standing)
Yea, I guess so.
(pauses)
We could both use a free day in
the city to clear our heads.

JESUS
I guess it couldn't hurt to sign
one more pass.
(standing)
We didn't sleep one bit.

PEDRO
That's good. I never sleep any
more. I've been too excitable.

JESUS
I use to be the same way. Lately
I've been sleeping all the time.
(pauses)
It's good to get back in these
habits. The sun is starting to
come up.

EXT. ROAD - DAWN

Pedro and Jesus approach an earthen road that cuts through the beautiful tropical lush, which is beginning to be bathed in red light. Pedro is only wearing underwear and a shirt.

PULL BACK TO REVEAL JESUS AND PEDRO APPROACHING

REVERSE SHOT

Jesus and Pedro walking down the road. A cheery SALSA starts. The light, MUSIC and distance all build together.

EXT. CITY STREET - DAWN

They approach the city, which is coming awake. MUSIC is slowly replaced by the SOUNDS of a CITY.

JESUS
What a great city!

There is the THUNDERING SOUND of an EXPLOSION.

PEDRO
(extremely shocked)
What the hell was that?

JESUS
I don't know. It probably came
from the docks. We should find
some clothes before we get any
farther into town.

PEDRO
How do we do that exactly?

JESUS
I don't know. There aren't any
stores near here. By the time
anything opens, half the day will
be wasted.
(pauses and looks around)
I would really rather not get
any closer to the docks until
I cover my butt.

PEDRO
I got it.

Pedro approaches a MAN working with what appears to be laundry or disposed clothing. He addresses him cheerfully and sincerely.

PEDRO
(continuing to the Man)
Hello, sir. My friend and I had
a rough night--fell into a sewer
and that sort of thing. What
would you want for some of those
clothes there?

MAN
I don't know. I mean what do
you want? What do you got?

PEDRO
Anything at all, hopefully a pair
of pants for my friend
(searching pockets of
non-existent pants)
Shit. I guess I left my wallet
in my pants somewhere.
(thinking and then handing
the Man his watch)

MAN
Yes, sir. Take what you want.
Take it all.

They go through clothing, and quickly take a piece or two for each of them. They start to walk away towards a side street.

PEDRO
Have a nice day.

MAN
Yes, sir.

They put on clothes that are ridiculously too big for them. Pedro's pants are tied by a rope.

JESUS
I can't believe you gave him your
watch. These clothes don't fit
very well considering we could
have bought a couple of cheap
suits for what you paid for them.

PEDRO
Who wants cheap suits? These
are more fun.

EXT. DOCKS - DAY

Jesus and Pedro are still exploring around. They come across the harbor area, which is active with sailors and small vendors.

JESUS
The next necessities are my treat.
I don't think any proper establishments
are open yet so we'll just get a loaf of bread. Something we can carry
around with us all day. I think
these cufflinks should do.

PEDRO
That's the spirit.

They stop and buy a huge loaf of bread and coffee, and Pedro puts pieces of tropical fruit into his pocket. They sit down on the dock and warm their faces with the steam rising from their cups. SIMON approaches. He is casually dressed in his sailor's clothes.

SIMON
Do you guys want to buy a tooth?

PEDRO
No thanks. I already have some.
(snickers)

SIMON
It probably came from a political
dissident.

JESUS
(placing the tooth up
to his mouth.)
Actually it looks a little too
big. My guess is that it's shark.

They laugh. Pedro addresses Simon.

PEDRO
What do you mean?

SIMON
Most of the bodies we pull out
of the water are political prisoners
who have committed suicide.

JESUS
What do they do jump from prison
all the way into the water?

SIMON
Well the police give them a push
for the last twenty miles or so.

PEDRO
(shocked)
Are you serious?

SIMON
You guys aren't from around here.

JESUS
We're university students.

SIMON
You don't look like it, but you're
acting like it.

JESUS
We had a rough night.

PEDRO
What's your name?

SIMON
Simon De La Fuente. How about
you guys?

JESUS
Jesus Castillo-Garcia.

PEDRO
Pedro Castillo-Torre.

SIMON
You guys related?

JESUS
Yea, cousins

SIMON
(making stabbing motion
with tooth)
You boys take an easy, and make
sure you keep these things out
of your sides.

PEDRO
What was that all about?

JESUS
I don't know. Don't worry about
it.
(pauses)
The steam rising from the cup
is warming my face.
(pauses)
It feels good.

Jesus leans his forehead against the far rim of the cup, and pauses for a contemplative moment. He then leans up, and stretches his neck.

JESUS
(continuing)
You know what? I remembered why
I tried to call you last night.
I think I saw that girl again.

JESUS
(continuing)
I don't know what I was thinking,
but I wanted to ask you about her.
(waits for and does not
receive response)
Do you know her?

PEDRO
(pauses nervously)
Uh, yea.

JESUS
What's her name? How do you know
her?

PEDRO
Uh, Mariana

JESUS
How do you know her?

PEDRO
Uh...her parents are friends of
the family.
(pauses)
Why do you ask?

JESUS
I think it's obvious why I ask.
Anyway, I find it hard to believe
that your parents have friends
like that.

PEDRO
Can we eat?

JESUS
Let's go to our fathers' club.
Wouldn't that be ironic.

PEDRO
Do you have a death wish?

JESUS
As much as you do.

PEDRO
Well fine. Let's go.

JESUS
We are going to need some proper
clothing.

PEDRO
Let's go.

As they start to walk away. They are stopped by the STUDENT VICTIM. He looks and acts as if he is extremely agitated. He addresses Jesus.

STUDENT VICTIM
Jesus! Can I stay with you for
a few days?

Followers